Other places to find legal help and information:
New York's free legal information resources
- www.LawHelpNY.org is New York's free legal information website. There, you can access free information about a variety of legal issues. Under “Find a Lawyer,” you can enter your county and the type of legal issue you have to access a directory of free legal service providers who may be able to assist you.
Covid-19 Resources that are available
City Bar Justice Center Planning and Estates Law Project – NYC Front-Line Health Care Workers
Lawyers for Good Government and City Bar Justice Center – COVID-19 Small Business Remote Legal Clinic
City Bar Justice Center – COVID-19 Small Business Remote Legal Clinic
The “City Bar Justice Center – COVID-19 Small Business Remote Legal Clinic” is the NYC-specific component of the Lawyers for Good Government Small business assistance program.
- For a directory of local statewide social service agencies, go to http://ocfs.ny.gov/main/localdss.asp
Veteran/Active Duty Military Legal Resources
ABA Home Front provides legal information, resources, and a directory of legal programs for veterans, service members, and military families. Programs listed include military legal assistance offices, legal aid and pro bono organizations, lawyer referral and information services, and military-specific programs where available.
The ABA Military Pro Bono Project accepts case referrals from military attorneys on behalf of junior-enlisted, active-duty military personnel facing civil legal issues, and it works to place these cases with pro bono attorneys.
- If you are a victim of domestic violence,
- You can call the New York State Domestic Violence 24 Hour Hotline (English & español/Multi-language accessibility): 1-800-942-6906 or 711 for Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- You can access the New York State Domestic Violence Program Directory
You may call the New York State Bar Association’s Public Interest Department at 518-487-5641 for additional guidance, if needed.
If you need to hire an attorney,
- If you need to hire an attorney and you live outside of New York City, call the New York State Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-342-3661
- If you need to hire an attorney and you live in New York City, call the New York City Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Service at 212-626-7373 (en espanol 212-626-7374)
- For a directory of local lawyer referral services, go to the American Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Directory or LRSConnect.org